Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Art History Bio-Pix

Children's books about artists used to be few and far between. Now there are tons of them and many of them are excellent. At my request, our librarian has accumulated about 50 of them over the years. Some of the best ones, in my opinion, are:

  1. Chuck Close Up Close by Jan Greenburg.


  2. My Name is Georgia by Jeannette Winter.


  3. Roy Lichtenstein: The Artist at Work by Lou Ann Walker.



We have enough different books that I can sign them all out, set them up on a table, and allow a class of students to choose which artist they would like to learn more about. I ask them to read some of the book (not all) and then to make a drawing that shows the artists' name, what the artist looked like and what one of their works of art looks like. I ask them to write a couple things that they find interesting about the artist. Sometimes they find a quote to include.

Here are a few that I've made over the years...


...and here are some of my students' drawings.







1 comment:

Paul Bozzo said...

Hey Teacher!
Nice lesson with great results.
Thanks for all this STUFF because I am learning alot from your posts. And "learning" is half what our world is all about. (Doing is the other half!) Keep up the good work.